Gran Canaria shopping is a great idea because, compared to mainland
Europe, prices here are cheap. We would like you to get the best
shopping experience, and have carefully handpicked the best shopping
centres on the island. The best time of the year to shop is during the
sales, which take place twice a year: right after Three Kings Day
(January 6th) and in the summer (beginning of July). Each sale lasts for two months.
Here's a list of the top shopping centres and shops:
1) Centro Comercial "Atlántico" - BEST shopping centre for 2011-2018, especially for those of you living in the south. Five stars without a doubt ★★★★★
Located in Vecindario, which is a town located about half-way to the airport. Worth visiting as it has plenty of top-notch shops and also has a Carrefour hypermarket. Lots of free parking is available.
2) Centro Comercial "Las Arenas" This shopping centre is located in the capital, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. It offers free parking and hundreds of stores, including the Carrefour hypermarket, Primark, and many other interesting shops. You can literally spend the whole day there. Upgraded to five stars ★★★★★
3) Centro Comercial Siete Palmas: Located in the capital, away from the centre of the city, it is an excellent shopping centre. Free parking, plenty of shops, a Mercadona supermarket, weekly events, make it a noteworthy mall.
4) El Corte Inglés - Is a department store located in the capital, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. It is a good idea to visit both buildings and check out their offers. Four stars ★★★★☆
5) Centro Comercial "El Mirador" - This is the biggest in the Canaries and opened in November 2010. Located between Telde and Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. This is where you will find the biggest Primark store on the island. Four stars ★★★★☆
6) "Las Terrazas" Shopping Centre - An open air Gran Canaria shopping centre with discounted clothes shops, supermarket, electronics shops, bars, restaurants, karting. Upgraded to five stars ★★★★★
6) " El Muelle " - For those arriving by cruise, this Gran Canaria shopping centre is located inside the harbour. After facing some hard times, this shopping centre is finally filling up. Medium sized supermarket, quality stores, and lots of places to eat, make it worth a visit.
Upgraded to three stars ★★★☆☆
7) "La Estrella" shopping area is very popular among the local Gran Canarian shopping fans. It is a group of buildings on both sides of the motorway, located in Telde, which is a town halfway between the airport and Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. On one side there is the French "Alcampo" hypermarket. Within walking distance, next to it, you will find the best DIY store on the island, the French "Leroy Merlin" store.
Next to these, the Swedish furniture multinational Ikea opened a new massive store on July 31st, 2012.
On the other side of the motorway there is the Decathlon shop, which is the biggest sports equipment store on the
island. Next to it there is a wholesale shop called Macro. Only businesses and people who have retail shops are allowed to go shopping there. There is plenty of free parking available in front of all the buildings, and the best days to go are weekdays. Fridays and Saturdays it gets crowded. Four stars ★★★★☆
8) "Calle Mayor de Triana" is one of the main streets of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. It is closed to traffic, and is the oldest shopping area of the island, dating back to the late 1800s. Shops in this area have also been opening the first Sunday of the month, to boost sales.
9) "El Tablero" shopping centre is one of the newest centres, and is the closest to Playa del Ingles, and Maspalomas. It is located just next to the motorway GC-1, in the south of the island. It has quality shops like Zara, Timberland, and a HiperDino supermarket, but isn't as big as the Atlantico Centre. You can also buy your SIM card for your mobile phone, from the various phone shops there.
10) Los Alisios Shopping Centre - This massive shopping mall opened its doors in November 2017. It is the biggest shopping centre in the Canaries, and is located in an area of the capital, known as Tamaraceite.
11) Cigarettes and liquor: Both these are cheaper in the Canaries, compared to prices in Europe. If you want to know where to buy these, check out our tips by clicking here
12) Nara gift shops have the best selection of quality gifts, e.g. Lladro and Swarovski. Stores are located in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, and Playa del Ingles.